The DIP Process

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Mar 3 02:33:26 UTC 2019

On 3/2/2019 4:16 PM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> Oh sorry, how would I say that statement in a more professional demeanor? I
> genuinely wasn't sure whether or not you were are of this pattern. I admit one
> of my weaknesses is not always knowing how to say something in the most tactful
> way. I find people are more sensitive than myself so I have a hard time knowing
> when I've said something insensitive, or how to say it in a way that's more
> tactful. How could I have said that in a professional manner?

Thanks for asking.

You could say that what I responded to wasn't the salient part of the post, and
summarize what you consider to be the most important.

---

In general, the following would be considered inappropriate in a professional
setting (not just here, really anywhere):

1. impugning the motives of others

2. questioning others' intelligence, competence or mental stability

3. believing one's argument is so compelling that others must have been secretly
convinced, and are continuing to disagree out of dishonesty, cussedness or
attempts to save face

4. obsequiousness

It's discouraged because it is highly unlikely to produce useful results.

BTW, I'll often write a rant, then put it in my drafts folder. Looking at it an
hour later, I almost always sigh and just delete it.