[gsoc] DUB - Ideas

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Mar 4 06:27:33 UTC 2019

On 3/3/19 7:01 AM, Guillaume Piolat wrote:

> Well, to me the ONLY reasons DUB use SDLang and cargo use TOML is
> obviously... to make things as different as possible! It's just trying
> to be different for being different's sake.
>
> Sociology explains this way more than any technical merit, we are prone
> to this in the D community because well it's an alternative language, it
> selects for people who likes alternatives.
>
> This is the elephant in the room, why else would we argue (with so much
> passion) the technical merit of 20-lines recipe files?

1. Because I've already wasted enough of my life suffering shitty tools.

2. Because no amount of insignificance will ever turn an inferior choice
into a superior one.

3. Because any coup needs to start somewhere.

As for the elephant, it's only a photo on the wall...

> And TOML is really tragic, I don't know if you have tried using it, I
> have and reverted to XML.

I haven't. This thread is the first I've heard of it. That's unfortunate
to hear as it *seems* very nice at a glance. What issues did you have?