The DIP Process

Jonathan Marler johnnymarler at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 13:24:18 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 3 March 2019 at 20:16:11 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:
> On Sunday, 3 March 2019 at 16:29:03 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>

>> Thanks for taking the time to respond to this one. I'm putting
>> up a wiki:
>>
>> https://wiki.dlang.org/?title=Guidelines_for_Professional_Conduct
>>
>> The rest of this response is an effort to get clarification on
>> your guidelines and hopefully put together a good wiki for
>> them.
>>

>>> 4. obsequiousness
>>
>> Had to look this one up, but even after that I'm not sure what
>> you meant by this one.
>
> It means, don't suck up to Walter/Andrei to curry favour with
> them.
>
> Jonathan, you have a high signal to noise ratio and you are
> usually very 'professional'. I think your time would be better
> spent thinking/designing/coding than updating wiki pages about
> social issues.

Thanks for the feedback.  Unfortunately this isn't the first time
or the first person who has accused me of being "unprofessional".
  Because of this I take it seriously and I'm trying to be better.
  I think it can be good to take some time to self-reflect and
possibly re-adjust yourself.

> But in any case, I'll add a few personal thoughts on my own
> rules for contributing to forums, perhaps others will find them
> beneficial.
>
> 1) Don't post when you are angry.
>
> 2) Target / address all the readers of the comment, not just
> the person who posted the comment you are replying to. Trying
> to 'win the argument' with the poster who you are replying to
> is nearly always a waste of time and just ends up in
> aggravation and even lost sleep.
>
> 3) Always be polite even when someone is being gratuitously
> rude and insulting.
>
> 4) Give people the benefit of the doubt.
>
> Readers will notice, these rules are not a recipe to win a
> technical argument. Technical discussion is the interesting
> part of the debate, but in the absence of the social rules it
> can quickly descend into a slanging match.

These are good tips. I know you said I shouldn't spend time on
the wiki but I think it's worth the effort to include them.  I've
added a "Tips" section.