The DIP Process

Jonathan Marler johnnymarler at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 04:37:43 UTC 2019

On Monday, 4 March 2019 at 22:25:01 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/4/2019 5:03 AM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>> [...]
>
> For starters, "How To Win Friends and Influence People" by
> Carnegie is a long-standing classic for good reason.
>
> And, "Emily Post's Etiquette".
>
> When I was growing up, I noticed something interesting. I was
> able to recognize people that were less "mature" than I was,
> but not more "mature". I could only see my maturation in
> hindsight. I think it's similar with manners.
>
> BTW, I think it's very good of you to recognize issues and work
> to resolve them. I have a lot of respect for that. But don't
> expect to just read a book and get better at it. It's a
> lifelong struggle. I've been working on mine since I first read
> HTWFaIP as a teenager.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've ordered them and look forward to
what I can learn from them.

>> [...]
>
> Even if you're right about their motives, you'll never resolve
> it by bringing it out into the open. You'll just make them mad
> at you.

Well you've got a point there.  I wouldn't say I'm convinced that
in most cases if you present it in the right way that you can
actually discuss things like that so long as you do it the right
way.  But I could be wrong. In any case this is a new perspective
I will try to consider in the future, and now I know where you
stand on the subject as well.