Anyone using @nogc exceptions (-dip1008)?

Peter Jacobs peterj at mech.uq.edu.au
Thu Mar 7 23:18:57 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 6 March 2019 at 12:36:56 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> Some time ago, Walter asked me to postpone DIP 1008,
> "Exceptions and @nogc". Subsequently, an implementation was
> merged behind the -dip1008 flag. In helping to determine how to
> move forward with the DIP, we'd like to know if anyone is
> actually using the feature and, if so, what your experience
> with it has been.

We use it in our compressible flow solver
(http://cfcfd.mechmining.uq.edu.au/eilmer/).  It is a working
research code.  We have lots of @nogc functions in the core of
our solver but really want to be able to throw exceptions.  So we
throw exceptions with simple messages in the optimized build and,
when we want more information, we run the simulation again with a
debug build of the code that constructs more informative messages
in debug{} blocks.