The DIP Process

NaN what at sup.com
Fri Mar 8 10:20:55 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 7 March 2019 at 02:33:11 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 02.03.19 07:15, Elronnd wrote:
>> On Friday, 1 March 2019 at 21:23:10 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> On a final note it doesn't matter to the DIP approval process
>>> how hard anyone works on the proposal, or how much time they
>>> spent on it, etc. Only results matter. By the same token, I
>>> don't expect anyone to care how much time I spend on D, I
>>> don't expect anyone to use D because people worked hard on
>>> it, etc. The only thing that matters is how good D is.
>>>
>>> It's a bit like the Olympics. Nobody cares how hard/long an
>>> athlete trained. Only that they win. Who would want it any
>>> other way?
>>
>> Oh come on.  This comparison makes no sense, the olympics are
>> nothing like a programming language.
>
> It's an analogy. The point was merely that results matter, not
> effort.

People are not pointing out the effort involved because they want
"medals for effort", what they want is the race to be run well,
for a high speed camera at the finish line not some old guy
squinting through one eye.

The point is that you need to respect the effort they put in by
making sure the DIP process is fair and accurate.