About D and a gratitude

Ecstatic Coder ecstatic.coder at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 18:21:51 UTC 2019

On Saturday, 2 March 2019 at 13:11:17 UTC, Matheus wrote:
> First of all sorry my English, second and if that matters to
> anyone, I decided to open this thread to show my gratitude
> toward those who spend their time to help this language.

+1 :)

> One thing that I liked at first was the fact that It has a
> built-in GC. While I see some people bashing it. I never had
> big problems even when writing games.

I think that those who bash D's GC are mostly those who would
like to use D as an alternative to C and C++, while in those very
few cases where C and C++ still remain the most obvious
solutions, like OS/embedded/game-engine development, only the
lack of a GC can **completely** remove the **risk** of a GC
application freeze.

But for those who like me use D only as an alternative to
scripting languages like Python, Ruby, Perl, etc, D's GC has
never been a problem, but a blessing.

The only improvement I would be glad to see in D's GC is that it
works incrementally (like Unity's new C# GC).

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/11/26/feature-preview-incremental-garbage-collection/

But very honestly, for my personal file processing scripts, as
far as I remember this has never been a problem.

So I'm also happy to have the opportunity to use D for almost all
my file scripting needs, as in this domain I can assure you that
D is by far one of the best alternative out there :)