memory management and the standard library

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 10:02:20 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 14 March 2019 at 09:25:47 UTC, Seb wrote:
> On Wednesday, 13 March 2019 at 19:22:37 UTC, Francesco Mecca
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 13 March 2019 at 17:50:57 UTC, Seb wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Though Phobos has been declared "stable" these days, which
>>> means that breaking changes can't be done anymore and if
>>> you're looking for sth. modern and nice, dub is the place
>>> these days.
>>> I wonder if we ever get to the point where we can replace
>>> Phobos with a modern standard library...
>>
>> https://github.com/wilzbach/hellas
>> Do you have any plans for this?
>
> Yes, I do (if I ever get time to get it).
> The rough outline is here:
>
> https://github.com/wilzbach/dts/issues
>
> The rough vision of dts is to remove the ugly bits of Phobos
> that we can't remove or change and make the design/structure
> more fitting.
> However, there are a few limiting language/runtime issues like
> D strings being used for exceptions etc.
>
> Anyhow, I should probably point out that Jonathan is pushing a
> more radical approach with Dragon:
>
> https://github.com/dragon-lang
>
> The main vision of Dragon is to do the radical D3 changes that
> would never be accepted in mainline dmd, see e.g.
>
> https://github.com/dragon-lang/dc/issues/43

That's interesting!

It is no secret that I am strongly in favor of the evolution of
the library / language even with radical changes. And this
implies that I am in favor of D3 + an evolution of Phobos.

Sociomantic has its own library, the same Weka, I would like a
commercial effort to support and define D3 + Phobos.

Something similar to a common organized work group, very very
pragmatic. If this thing were feasible, my company would be
interested in contributing.

- Paolo