memory management and the standard library

James Blachly james.blachly at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 01:48:44 UTC 2019

On 3/14/19 5:32 PM, JN wrote:
> Also, some language features seem dubious or hardly used at all. Does
> anyone really use contracts? I know they're sweet and Eiffel and
> everything, but does anyone ACTUALLY use them and doesn't stick to good
> old asserts? Perhaps rather than implementing (and supporting! each
> feature has to work well with other features which adds support
> overhead) such features, it'd be more useful to add features like struct
> initialization outside of assginments, which feels to me like a much
> nicer improvement to the language.

FWIW as a new-ish D programmer I used contracts to great effect to
quickly write an interval tree library (which I will release soon). The
contracts mechanism sped development tremendously, as well as caught
several subtle edge-case errors that would have been nightmare to find
without.

That being said, I would love struct initialization ...