memory management and the standard library

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Mar 15 08:25:19 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 14 March 2019 at 21:32:21 UTC, JN wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 March 2019 at 10:02:20 UTC, Paolo Invernizzi
> wrote:
>> On Thursday, 14 March 2019 at 09:25:47 UTC, Seb wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> That's interesting!
>>
>> It is no secret that I am strongly in favor of the evolution
>> of the library / language even with radical changes. And this
>> implies that I am in favor of D3 + an evolution of Phobos.
>>
>> Sociomantic has its own library, the same Weka, I would like a
>> commercial effort to support and define D3 + Phobos.
>>
>> Something similar to a common organized work group, very very
>> pragmatic. If this thing were feasible, my company would be
>> interested in contributing.
>>
>> - Paolo
>
> To be frank, even though I'd love the idea of D3, I don't think
> it's just a matter of Phobos. Phobos is a victim of the
> underlying ideology of D, which is both it's blessing and a
> curse. That ideology is the idea that all paradigms are equal
> and every usecase should be supported. In languages like
> Java/C#, if someone asks how to do manual memory management,
> the answer is either "you can't" or "interop with C". [...]

In Java the answer has also been user java.nio.Buffer, and it
will be improved when value types finally become a thing.

In C#, it has always been a thing since the early days via
System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal and value types, improved
later via SafeHandle, since C# 7.x, Midori style stack and manual
memory allocation alongside slices and channels.

C# 8 will bring syntax sugar for slices.

--
Paulo