[gsoc] D Language Server protocol based on the DMD frontend

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sat Mar 16 15:24:00 UTC 2019

On 2019-03-14 23:34, Rubn wrote:

> Which part? Point is using DMD as a language server isn't going to be
> intuitive, compilers are designed to fail on invalid input but editors
> need to work for incomplete source files.

Then DMD needs to be changed to handle incomplete source files. I'm no
expert on this topic but wouldn't it be enough if the lexer and parser
can handle incomplete source files? That might be feasible to complete
during a summer.

> Either way I feel this is out
> of scope for a single student to complete in a single summer.

I'm thinking it's very ambitious too.

> Thinking that most of the work is done because they can use DMD is just backwards
> and haven't ever written tooling tools.

Yes. There's no magic to use DMD as a library. Just compile all the
necessary files and create a library out of the object files. It's been
possible to do this for as long as DMD has existed. We just created a
Dub package and some utility functions to package it nicely.

--
/Jacob Carlborg