GSoC idea for interprocess library in D

Arun Chandrasekaran aruncxy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 05:19:21 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 17 March 2019 at 12:16:51 UTC, Francesco Mecca wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 March 2019 at 06:12:21 UTC, Arun Chandrasekaran
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 13 March 2019 at 21:31:44 UTC, Johannes Pfau
>> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Right, something like that would be good to have. For
>> demonstration, I've literally translated one of the C++
>> example from here to D -
>> https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_63_0/doc/html/interprocess/synchronization_mechanisms.html#interprocess.synchronization_mechanisms.message_queue
>>
>> [...]
>
> You had a very nice idea, currently one of the best proposed
> for this GSOC (until now).
> Also we badly need libraries for the HPC space.

Thanks, hope to get the community support for this to be accepted
in GSoC.

> The example is clear enough but can you provide us examples on
> how porting this library to D would be better than having
> proper bindings?

AFAIK, D shares the same binary interface with C and not with
C++. So I doubt if a binding would benefit D, because the new
library under proposal should be able to construct D objects
(struct/class) on shared memory. A binding, however, would only
instantiate C++ objects on shared memory.