Generality creep

Jonathan Marler johnnymarler at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 13:35:12 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 19 March 2019 at 02:52:34 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Walter and I were looking at indexOf in the standard library.
> It has several overloads, of which let's look at the first two:
>
> [...]

+1 that these corner cases should not be supported in phobos, but
at this point how could phobos drop support for these cases? In
fact I'm pretty sure I've written a fair amount of code that
depends on them (i.e. using alias this to subtype with an
rvalue...hey, we all make mistakes). Of course I'm more than
willing to fix my code but we're talking about a huge breaking
change here. What's the path forward?