DIP1000 finds stack corruption bug in std.socket

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Mar 19 19:22:43 UTC 2019

On 3/19/2019 4:29 AM, Olivier FAURE wrote:
> I don't want to be aggressive, but this feels like you're saying "Look at how
> amazing DIP-1000 is! Isn't it great?" right after criticisms of DIP-1000 have
> started to surface again.

More like right after it found the problem in std.socket, a stack corruption
problem that's been there for who knows how long. It's exactly the kind of
problem dip1000 is there for, and worth pointing out.

> I get that you're very proud of DIP-1000, and that it's a lot better than having
> only DIP-25, but it still leaves the concept of scope in D with fundamental
> flaws, that make full @safe @nogc apps next to impossible.

It doesn't have to cover 100% of the program to offer a great deal of value.

It's difficult to retrofit these sorts of things into an existing, complex
language, where a lot of usage has grown up around unsafe practices. Just
imagine how hard it would be to add this to C++. We're in far better shape than
that.

I've got dip1000 working with nearly all of Phobos now, which is a crucial
foundational step.