[gsoc] DMD - Ideas

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Fri Mar 22 09:08:51 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 19 March 2019 at 20:45:06 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> Precisely my point.  So now instead of a single precompiled
> binary
> (dmd), you have two (dmd + build). When the two go out of sync,
> things
> become "interesting".

This is no concern at all ;-)
You see a DMD compiler is already _required_ to build DMD. We
simply use the same host compiler to compile build.d. The CIs
enforce that we can always compile DMD with the minimum host
compiler and similarly they also enforce the same for build.d.

However, while we can build DMD and run its unittest without Make
now, druntime and Phobos don't have the equivalent of `build.d`
and `test/run.d` and some of the lesser used DMD Makefile targets
like the docs target haven't been ported either, so it will still
take a bit of time until we're in a post-make era.