GSoC idea for interprocess library in D

Arun Chandrasekaran aruncxy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 20:11:31 UTC 2019

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 4:45 AM Basile B. via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 13 March 2019 at 02:20:39 UTC, Arun Chandrasekaran
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to propose the idea to develop an interprocess
> > library similar to Boost::Interprocess in C++
> > https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_63_0/doc/html/interprocess.html
> >
> > Boost::Interprocess is a very powerful and feature rich library
> > for developing cross platform server and desktop apps.
> >
> > Boost.Interprocess offers:
> > 1. shm based queues without relying on the kernel for data
> > transfer. This is a huge win for low latency apps in the order
> > of micro seconds)
> >
> > 2. shm based object allocation, construction and destruction.
> >
> > Etc
> >
> > Is there an equivalent library in the D ecosystem? What do you
> > people think about the idea?
> >
> > Arun
>
> I like the idea, although from my own experience IPC is quite
> easy, the real stuff is more the communication process, i.e the
> protocol, which seems to be message loop for you. I had worked a
> bit on the easy part [1] and you can count on my help if your

The IPC itself is easy as OS does most of the weightlifting. But
designing a stable, easy to use library will definitely be challenging
& achieving. I remember the days back when we had to struggle with
ACE[1] (respect the author, this was the only library that I was aware
of back then). boost::interprocess just made everyone's life easy in a
lot of ways.

> submission is accepted, although I say it clearly **this is not a
> proposal for mentorship**.
>
> [1] : https://github.com/Basile-z/iz/blob/master/import/iz/ipc.d

I'm not a student either.

[1] http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html