Binding rvalues to ref parameters redux

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 27 04:11:36 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 27 March 2019 at 01:38:40 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Work has been underway on redoing DIP 1016. I haven't made a
> pull request yet as it's a bit early. Looking for high-level
> observations:
>
> https://gist.github.com/andralex/e5405a5d773f07f73196c05f8339435a
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback.

A couple more points.

In the combinatorial explosion example, give the root case an
implementation.

double distance(ref const Point p1, ref const Point p2); // used
by all other overloads

->

// used by all other overloads
double distance(ref const Point p1, ref const Point p2) { ... }

> More discussion on rationale and motivating examples can be
> found in the "Rationale" section of DIP 1016.

Thats fine for a draft, for the real thing this will need to
include those examples. In particular the main points not
included are:

* Its a PITA to get proper composition with higher order function
templates.
* Disruption of pipelines

Under the "Binding Rules" please state the types of the symbols
used up front (Where do Tk and Uk come from? what are they?
Types? Parameters?)