Binding rvalues to ref parameters redux

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 27 04:33:44 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 27 March 2019 at 01:38:40 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Work has been underway on redoing DIP 1016. I haven't made a
> pull request yet as it's a bit early. Looking for high-level
> observations:
>
> https://gist.github.com/andralex/e5405a5d773f07f73196c05f8339435a
>
> Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Destructors of temporaries should be a subsection of its own.
It needs code examples, because while

>The order of destruction for temporaries inserted for a given
>function call is the inverse order of construction.

is fine and easy to understand, the rest is not. It would be far
better to describe this through lambda lowering.

The document mentions

> Related, returning a ref parameter by ref enables safe and
> efficient "pipelining" of function calls.

But gives it no further discussion, c.f. the section of return
ref in DIP 1016.

The document does not deal with overload resolution at all.