[gsoc] graph library

Vasyl Teliman vasniktel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 15:53:59 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 27 March 2019 at 14:41:26 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> [...]

Thanks for your replies, Seb, Timon and Joe.

Unfortunately, it seems that I am going to skip GSoC this year
since I've got a lot of work to do recently. Nevertheless, I
still have an interest in this project, so I will try to build
this library anyway (although, not this summer it seems).

> So I would recommend that we focus on creating a good library,
> and forget getting anything into phobos.

This is not a problem at all :)

> In terms of design inspiration: it's been a long while since I
> last looked at Boost::Graph but my memory is of a template
> horror that seemed far more complex than it needed to be, and
> yet whose internal data structures were probably not the most
> efficient.

Boost::Graph is a complex library indeed. I would not like to
overcomplicate the things that are relatively difficult by
themselves. Still, BGL has some good ideas implemented (e.g. the
ability to extend graph representation with your own containers)
that might be worthwhile to add to this library.

> I also don't see the point in reproducing or closely mimicking
> a C++ API when the degree of C++ support is getting so much
> better.

Agreed.

>   * ensuring friendly interop with Python, as a lot of people
> working in science
>     will be using Python for their scripting, data science, and
> glue code

Interesting, is there any way to learn more about interop with
Python for D?

--
Best wishes,
Vasyl