Feedback: using D in production for 3D products

Guillaume Lathoud gsub at glat.info
Thu Mar 28 15:31:12 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 28 March 2019 at 14:38:46 UTC, Matheus wrote:
> Could you elaborate about this 3D part? Because in many cases
> you fetch the data and GPU will handle the rendering etc. So I
> don't think the language itself should be a bottleneck.

The original data was a rectangular raster of elevation values,
which had to be smartly reduced to a few triangles wherever
available, and accompanied with some meta-data, both parts highly
useful for the final device to render motion in a 3D world in a
performant manner. Otherwise, simply feeding the raster to the
final device led to a barely acceptable user experience.

Since this precomputation should run in any part of the world, D
was critical to quickly compute the reduced-and-expanded vector
data over the whole world down to an acceptable level AND be able
to quickly compute the rest on-demand. In short: performance!

I chose D because I had already had impressive experiences in
terms of performance in the past.

Best regards,
Guillaume