Generality creep

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Mar 28 18:56:23 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 02:30:24PM -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> We've been worrying too much about changing things.

Wow.  That's a pretty drastic (and refreshing!) change of stance from
the past years of insisting that we should do our utmost to maintain
backward compatibility.  I, for one, welcome this change.

[...]
> We have a language with virtually no global scope - a versioning
> engineer's dream. Yet we are coy to tap into that power. Instead, we
> wring hands over the breakages that would happen if we change
> std.json. The time is ripe for std.v2, which would do the right things
> and support simple migration.
[...]

Yes, I welcome the idea of std.v2.  And we should provide reasonable
migration paths to std.v2, so that after X number of years, we can
deprecate the current stuff, and move std.v2.* to std.*.  (Or maybe
leave it as std.v2.*, in case there will ever be a need for std.v3.*. I
hope not, but hindsight is always 20/20 so it seems inevitable going
forward.)

IBM = I Blame Microsoft