Generality creep

destructionator at gmail.com destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 19:23:30 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 28 March 2019 at 19:12:40 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> The TypeInfo stuff, for one thing, will take some work to reach
> your vision of a completely opt-in library.  Currently, trying
> to link without druntime will cause a bunch of errors related
> to missing TypeInfo's.

Not true - that was fixed like a year ago.

See http://dpldocs.info/this-week-in-d/Blog.Posted_2019_02_25.html#no-runtime-d

The code there compiles with no extra code; it just works.

and my "last year in D" post on the official blog called this out with the release (I just don't remember the link)

> Or the GC initialization in rt_init / rt_term.  Or, for that
> matter, the initialization code that packages command-line
> arguments into a string[] before invoking Dmain.

The GC is initialized on the first use.

Lots of movement in this direction already happened in 2018!