Generality creep

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 29 01:43:28 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 28 March 2019 at 19:23:30 UTC, destructionator wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 March 2019 at 19:12:40 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> The TypeInfo stuff, for one thing, will take some work to
>> reach your vision of a completely opt-in library.  Currently,
>> trying to link without druntime will cause a bunch of errors
>> related to missing TypeInfo's.
>
> Not true - that was fixed like a year ago.
>
> See
> http://dpldocs.info/this-week-in-d/Blog.Posted_2019_02_25.html#no-runtime-d
>
> The code there compiles with no extra code; it just works.
>
> and my "last year in D" post on the official blog called this
> out with the release (I just don't remember the link)
[...]

> Lots of movement in this direction already happened in 2018!

Yes, the release that enabled that was 2.079
(https://dlang.org/changelog/2.079.0.html)

It started with `ModuleInfo` which set a precedent for then doing
`TypeInfo` and `Throwable`

https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7395
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7768
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7799
https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/7786

The work is also ongoing with Dan Printzell recently deciding on
decoupling `TypeInfo` from the runtime hooks for his GSoC
proposal
(https://forum.dlang.org/post/dunewuhfbkqnbtemicmk@forum.dlang.org).  Let's be sure to give him our support.

Mike