Generality creep

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 15:12:31 UTC 2019

On Friday, 29 March 2019 at 13:57:57 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Here, my reviews were more often than not met with hostility.
>
> As a pattern, a reviewer would be more willing to write the
> code once and then defend it in its current state, rather than
> improve it through review. In a few extreme cases, people flat
> out told me they'll abandon the PR if I don't take it as it is.

Where I work, we're trying our best to do design reviews before
starting large implementations and to seek reviewer feedback
throughout the process. We do this because it seems clear that
after the code is already written and after several days' to
weeks' worth of effort has gone into a feature, the cost to
making fundamental design changes is as great as it's going to
get, and developer attachment to the existing code as well as
frustration with the reviewer is high, especially when the
reviewer asks for fundamental design changes.

And this, to pivot to another debate we had recently, is exactly
why it's a counterproductive approach to do DIP reviews only at
the end.