Generality creep

Olivier FAURE couteaubleu at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 21:28:40 UTC 2019

On Friday, 29 March 2019 at 16:26:06 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Years ago, I had the hots for a girl so I did what many silly
> guys do - I friended her. She confessed she had aspirations for
> writing. Being likely inclined as well and wanting to please, I
> enthusiastically proffered interest in her endeavor. So she
> gave me a manuscript to read.

I don't think this comparison is appropriate, and honestly, I
think it's a little disrespectful to contributors.

Like, contributors aren't trying to get a date. They don't want
to be teased, they don't want to play social games, they don't
want things to be dramatic or fun or romantic. They want to
submit a change, and they want it to be straightforward.

Also, they're mostly volunteers, helping on their free time out
of passion. Comparing them to a girl hamstringing you for writing
advice seems extremely condescending.

> It was... bad. Not just bad, fractally bad - from the overall
> arc down to grammar and punctuation. Wanting to say something
> nice about it, I went for advice to my uncle, a published
> author (his obituary is online - Nicuta Tanase). He said, kid,
> just mention a couple of things that are objective and would
> improve things.
>
> And so I did, not realizing I was creating a larger problem for
> myself. Because a week later, she came with another draft in
> hand, saying: "I fixed it! Now it's good for publishing...
> right?"

That doesn't mean early reviews aren't valuable.

Like, I get that some people get sore when you tell them that a
submission they've spent a lot of effort on just isn't good
enough, and sometimes they will be unreasonable no matter what
you say.

(and, as I've said before, the community has a tendency to jump
to "Oh, W&A are being stubborn and ignoring The Will of The
People again" every time you make a design decision someone
doesn't like)

But the response to that is *more* communication, not less. If
someone's PR is too bad to be merged, you're not going to help
anyone by letting the person work on code that has no chance to
be accepted. Same thing for DIPs.

Saying "This would be much easier if the community was bigger and
people fought for my attention" is just wishful thinking. You
don't solve a communication problem by becoming a cult icon, you
solve it by communicating better, and earlier.

> Look at what happens in Rust. People get over each other to add
> quality to the language, because if they don't, the next guy
> has a better proposal, idea, or code. There's a crowd at the
> door, putting pressure on the folks within. Folks don't go
> around telling Niko Matsakis he's a chowderhead who could learn
> a thing or two.

Seriously, I'm worried that the takeway you're getting from all
this is "the community is unreasonable, unlike Rust's community
which has a healthy respect for the maintainers". It's not just
that. The D community is has a ton of people whose experience
writing a PR is "I spent two weeks writing that code, got a
comment from Walter six months later that asked to clarify what X
did, I added some documentation, and I haven't had any news for a
year".

If you look at the open PRs on rust, all PRs in page 3 are less
than two weeks old. By comparison, some PRs in page 3 of dmd are
from May 2018, almost a year ago!

I realize that the D team has way less resources than Mozilla to
dedicate to following PRs, but acting like the only problem is
that PR authors are capricious is just disingenuous.