More complexity creep in Phobos

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Mar 30 22:28:32 UTC 2019

On 3/28/19 12:23 PM, Meta wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 March 2019 at 16:12:34 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

>>> Last time I checked, curt dismissal is not an argument.
>>
>> Sorry. It was a pertinent response dressed as a curt dismissal. The
>> opening post of the "Generality creep" is trivial to find and contains
>> an explanation of exactly this matter. Walter posted a link to it, too
>> (thanks). Here it is:
>>
>> https://digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/Generality_creep_324867.html
>>

>> What remains is that I copy and paste it for you, which I'll do at the
>> end of this message.
>>
>> I actually stopped reading your post following your assertion, because
>> I inferred it would be increasingly wrong because it is based on a
>> wrong assumption. Just now I went and read it, and indeed it is so.
>
> Thanks, stopped reading your post here. I'll leave the discussion to
> those more qualified.

The author of this post wrote me a very nice private note in lieu of an
unpleasant public response to my nasty way of handling this exchange. He
refrained from posting in the spirit of "write letters to people you
hate, then burn them" (as the joke goes, "okay, then what do I do to the
letters?")

Anyhow, I wanted to apologize to Meta in the same place where the
offense take place. I am sorry for the unkind tone I took to.

An explanation (but in no way a justification) of this came from a
friend: "The more sure you are of being right, the more insufferable you
become."