Generality creep

Luís Marques luis at luismarques.eu
Sun Mar 31 14:47:33 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 31 March 2019 at 11:30:08 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> I got burned out on writing vision documents (Walter was never
> a fan so I did them all) because it was difficult to figure
> their impact. Contributors asked for a vision document. So we
> started one. Then contributors continued doing what they were
> doing.

I suggest you write informal status documents in the wiki
instead, on a best-effort basis. Instead of writing a document
that's pie in the sky "it would be great to have X in the
following 6 months, let's pretend we know we can do it", write
something more like "I've been working on X, and I've noticed a
lot of little problems with Y. Here's what we could do about it,
what I'm trying to do Z but why it might not be enough", etc. Do
little updates when possible and motivated. Maybe update it
sometimes with links to pull requests that you feel helped with
the problems, so others can study them and learn what things are
especially welcome, etc. Things like that.

In summary, play to our strengths. D has a small community. Keep
it close and cozy, not distant and formal.