Generality creep

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Mar 31 15:28:55 UTC 2019

On 3/31/19 10:12 AM, bachmeier wrote:
> It is clear that he has no interest in being the leader of an open
> source project. He doesn't want to waste his time with average
> programmers, he only wants to spend his time working with the best of
> the best (by some metric) software engineers.

Good leadership is inspiring people from all walks of life toward doing
extraordinary things. Point being, not all need to be extraordinary.
Groups of extraordinary people working together do happen, but are rare
enough to receive their own phrase - "Gang of Four", "Paypal Mafia", "K&R".

I knew this well before embarking on working on D, and I had no illusion
about my own skill being remarkable to start with. So I had no
unreasonable expectations going in or staying in.

What was surprising, which I alluded to in another post, is that the
advice for improvement I'd dispense was frequently debated and
occasionally taken as an offense. For whatever reason, I failed to hold
the competence high ground. It's as if there was a samizdat manual by
which contributors must do two essential things - antagonize Walter and
debate my reviews. Needless to say, my growing testy didn't help one
bit. There's this subtle Romanian proverb translated loosely as "it's
mighty difficult helping who doesn't want to be helped". (I first heard
it thirty years ago in the military and thought it's kind of silly.)

This has led to many thousand yard stare evenings I have yet to recover
from.