Generality creep

Olivier FAURE couteaubleu at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 16:41:59 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 31 March 2019 at 00:18:29 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> why have the outcomes across the C++ and D communities have
> been so different?
>
> The answer to this question may unlock the potential of our
> community.

Isn't suggesting ideas for language features the easy part? As
opposed to actually making a formal proposal, teasing out the
corner cases, comparing alternatives, getting reviewers to accept
it, etc?

If your experience in C++ has been mostly writing libraries and
proposing ideas, and your experience in D has been mostly
reviewing actual work and dissecting complete proposals, then of
course C++ will seem easier to you.

I mean, it's not like the standardization process in C++ is
painless. In fact, it's renowned for being a byzantine
bureaucracy.