Generality creep

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 22:25:30 UTC 2019

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 5:45 PM Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> > This would also be a great opportunity to fix some of the issues with shared
> > in druntime
>
> The problem here is, of course, that nobody knows exactly what shared is
> supposed to do. Not even me. Not even Walter.

As an immediate stop-gap, shared must have *no read or write access*
to data members. Simple. Make that change. Right now.
Then shared will at least be useful and not embarrassing, and you can
continue to argue about what shared means while I get to work.

> One monumental piece of work would be DIP 1021 "Define the semantics of
> shared". Then people who build with -dip1021 know what to do and what to
> expect. Now that would patch one of the bigger holes mentioned in the
> other post.

Sure. But in the meantime, fix the objective bug with the current
semantics where you can read/write un-protected data freely. Right
now. Please for the love of god.