"Stop Designing Languages. Write Libraries Instead."

JN 666total at wp.pl
Fri May 3 07:45:33 UTC 2019

On Friday, 3 May 2019 at 02:25:47 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
> This is actually what I like about D:  It is so powerful, it
> allows users to make whatever abstraction is ideal for their
> use case.  What I'd like to see is for D to capitalize more on
> that.

So does Lisp. And one of the main criticism of Lisp is that every
programmer invents their own programming language features and
it's very hard to reuse code or libraries because everything is
written in different style.

Remember Lisp curse
http://www.winestockwebdesign.com/Essays/Lisp_Curse.html

" Lisp allows you to just chuck things off so easily, and it is
easy to take this for granted. I saw this 10 years ago when
looking for a GUI to my Lisp. No problem, there were 9 different
offerings. The trouble was that none of the 9 were properly
documented and none were bug free. Basically each person had
implemented his own solution and it worked for him so that was
fine."

"Some smug Lisp-lovers have surveyed the current crop of academic
languages (Haskell, Ocaml, et cetera) and found them wanting,
saying that any feature of theirs is either already present in
Lisp or can be easily implemented — and improved upon — with Lisp
macros. They're probably right."

"The Lisp Curse kicks in. Every second or third serious Lisp
hacker will roll his own implementation of lazy evaluation,
functional purity, arrows, pattern matching, type inferencing,
and the rest. Most of these projects will be lone-wolf
operations. Thus, they will have eighty percent of the features
that most people need (a different eighty percent in each case).
They will be poorly documented. They will not be portable across
Lisp systems. "

replace Lisp with D in these quotes and it sounds interesting :)