"Stop Designing Languages. Write Libraries Instead."

rumbu rumbu at rumbu.ro
Fri May 3 14:14:21 UTC 2019

On Friday, 3 May 2019 at 12:52:43 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> But currently, we have a standard range API that, in spite of
> some warts, is universal across all D code. Everyone writes
> their API around it rather than reinventing their own.  The
> Lisp Curse doesn't set in, and everyone reaps the benefits.

Sorry, but I'm among the D users hating how the range stuff was
designed and I try to avoid phobos as much as I can in all my
projects and to rewrite bits of phobos replacement code to cover
my needs. The fact that phobos is endorsed by someone is equal to
nil as long it contains errors in design and sometimes even in
implementation.

One of the reasons:
https://forum.dlang.org/thread/ktdfnvoonjuzswryofsk@forum.dlang.org?page=1