"Stop Designing Languages. Write Libraries Instead."

JN 666total at wp.pl
Fri May 3 17:34:59 UTC 2019

On Friday, 3 May 2019 at 16:23:25 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> On Friday, 3 May 2019 at 07:45:33 UTC, JN wrote:
>> On Friday, 3 May 2019 at 02:25:47 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> So does Lisp. And one of the main criticism of Lisp is that
>> every programmer invents their own programming language
>> features and it's very hard to reuse code or libraries because
>> everything is written in different style.
>>
>> [...]
>
> I'm not sure the Lisp curse would exist if a package manager
> had been part of the ecosystem from the beginning. Take D -
> anyone _could_ write their own parser library but basically
> everyone uses Pegged.

Well, Lisp curse applies mostly to language features. Imagine if
Pegged required you to pull in "pegged-oop", "pegged-traits",
"pegged-exceptions" and then you can't use throw because it
doesn't support it, instead you have to do
mixin(ExceptionHandler!((e) { writeln(e.toString()) })) to handle
exceptions. That's what could occur if a language gives too much
freedom and doesn't standarize on language features.