GCC with D have been finally been released.

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri May 3 19:31:15 UTC 2019

On Fri, May 03, 2019 at 01:16:05PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> I can't thank Iain and Johannes enough! It's a critical achievement
> for D's future. It will open a lot of doors for us.

Indeed.  Most (all?) Linux distros use GCC as the default toolchain for
their repository packages. Having D available means we can now ship D
software to these distros without fearing that there's no compiler
available, or that users will have to download an external compiler,
which comes with a host of issues like compatibility with system
libraries, proper integration, etc..

It also means prospective users can just install gdc from their official
distro repo and start playing around with D. (This has been true for
some distros for a while now, but having it as an official part of GCC
means we don't have to do the porting work manually anymore -- distros
will virtually do it for us.)

Of course, most of this applies to non-Linux environments that happen to
use GCC too.  (Though I surmise that would be a much smaller audience.)

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. -- Sammy