[OT] Granny-friendly Linux Distros?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue May 7 00:15:07 UTC 2019

On Mon, May 06, 2019 at 05:01:58PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 5/5/2019 4:32 PM, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
> > Installing updates...you may as well go watch an entire series on
> > Netflix 'cause you ain't packing up your laptop *or* getting any
> > emails sent anytime soon...
>
> I learned to fire up my laptop some time before giving the
> presentation.
>
> I've also had many overnight jobs fail because Windows forcibly
> rebooted to install updates.

Am I the only one who thinks this is completely ridiculous, and a shame
to our industry, that users have to put up with this kind of nonsense?

I mean, with all the talk about user-friendly UI's and designing
programs with UI in mind, one would think *somebody* on the Windows team
should have stepped back, realized what an insane nightmare of a user
experience this kind of behaviour is, and piped up about finding a
different way of doing things.  What's the use of all that GUI eye-candy
when the *actual* user experience is this horrible??

Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares? -- Erich Schubert