[OT] Granny-friendly Linux Distros?

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Tue May 7 00:52:38 UTC 2019

On 5/6/19 8:15 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:

> Am I the only one who thinks this is completely ridiculous, and a shame
> to our industry, that users have to put up with this kind of nonsense?

*raises hand* Me too.

I think users mostly just accept it because for 90% of people, any
problems they face from Windows are just:

"Well, that's just how computers are, right? That's why I don't like
computers and usually use a phone or tablet instead."

(Note, that *right there* was the *true* genius of the iPhone - it
wasn't the touchscreen or pinch-zoom or aesthetic or any of that
nonsense about it being "easy to use" - it was that fact that Jobs
managed to get everybody to believe it wasn't really a "computer", it
was a "telephone".)

> I mean, with all the talk about user-friendly UI's and designing
> programs with UI in mind, one would think *somebody* on the Windows team
> should have stepped back, realized what an insane nightmare of a user
> experience this kind of behaviour is, and piped up about finding a
> different way of doing things.

Yup, seriously. Makes you wonder just what's going on over there. Not
enough workforce because everyone left for Google or Facebook?

> What's the use of all that GUI eye-candy
> when the *actual* user experience is this horrible??

Eye-candy on Windows? Metro? Eye-candy? Whhaaa...???

Eye-cancer perhaps...