[OT] Granny-friendly Linux Distros?

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Tue May 7 03:02:04 UTC 2019

On Monday, May 6, 2019 6:15:07 PM MDT H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Mon, May 06, 2019 at 05:01:58PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> > On 5/5/2019 4:32 PM, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
> > > Installing updates...you may as well go watch an entire series on
> > > Netflix 'cause you ain't packing up your laptop *or* getting any
> > > emails sent anytime soon...
> >
> > I learned to fire up my laptop some time before giving the
> > presentation.
> >
> > I've also had many overnight jobs fail because Windows forcibly
> > rebooted to install updates.
>
> Am I the only one who thinks this is completely ridiculous, and a shame
> to our industry, that users have to put up with this kind of nonsense?
>
> I mean, with all the talk about user-friendly UI's and designing
> programs with UI in mind, one would think *somebody* on the Windows team
> should have stepped back, realized what an insane nightmare of a user
> experience this kind of behaviour is, and piped up about finding a
> different way of doing things.  What's the use of all that GUI eye-candy
> when the *actual* user experience is this horrible??

It seems to be that their current approach is their response to the problem
that tons of people don't bother to update Windows (or actively avoid it),
and they're sick of all of the fallout that comes from that - including
Windows getting a bad rep for security issues than already have been fixed.
And I can certainly sympathize with that, though as a power user, I don't
like losing control over when and how my system updates, and they don't seem
to have managed to go about things in a way that forces people to keep their
systems up-to-date without causing problems. And I don't know how solvable
that problem is. As a power user though, it's one more reason to avoid using
Windows when I can.

- Jonathan M Davis