[OT] Granny-friendly Linux Distros?

angel andrey.gelman at gmail.com
Tue May 7 12:25:27 UTC 2019

On Monday, 6 May 2019 at 17:01:21 UTC, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa)
wrote:
> Thanks for all the responses. (Actually, it's not *my* granny,
> it's my mom, but she *is* a grandparent, as find I rather enjoy
> reminding her ;) Yea, I'm an ass...)
>
> evilrat's comments about Mint's GUI are a bit worrying.
>
> Ubuntu LTS certainly seems to be the common recommendation. But
> I have some (perhaps unfounded?) concerns:
>
> - The LTSes are still, what, 3 or so years IIRC? I'm figuring
> her next machine will probably last her about another decade,
> so that's well beyond that. So what's the LTS-to-LTS upgrade
> process like? Is it basically an OS re-install like upgrading
> Windows traditionally is? Or is it as
> simple/transparent/painless as 'Uknown' describes Ubuntu's
> regular day-to-day update process to be?
>
> - It's been a looong time since I last used Ubuntu, but I
> remember it being clearly designed to be very Mac-like (ie,
> OSX). She's not experienced with Mac, she's more
> WinXP-through-Win7. I remember alternative desktops like
> KDE/Xfce (along with Kubuntu/Xubuntu) being pretty much
> second-class citizens. Has this improved?
>
> I'm not too terribly worried about the whole Linux-on-a-laptop
> thing. That's what my main machine is and in my experience
> Linux works pretty well on laptops these days. My main concern
> in this area is just making sure the BIOS (or...whatever the
> new thing is called now...) is unlockable so Linux can even be
> installed in the first place.
>
> Chromebook's an interesting idea, but probably a no-go. She's
> gonna need more storage than that, plus something to backup her
> iPhone to, probably a bigger screen than those usually have,
> and definitely built-in CDR. She does enough audio recording
> (yes, actual audio recording, not music piracy) that external
> CDR would be too much of a hassle.
>
> Netflix is no issue, she has one of those TVs with Roku
> built-in, so that's how she always does Netflix. (But ugh, I
> *thought* a RokuTV would be a great pick for her, but honestly,
> I'm seriously APPALLED at just how piss-poor the menu's
> responsiveness is (not to mention the boot time). It's
> absolutely absurd. Menus on my Apple II were more responsive,
> no joke. *Serious* blatant incompetence involved in these
> modern TVs these days. If I had it to do over, I'd go with a
> non-smart TV (if I could find one) and then just connect a Roku
> device. At least then, the Roku could be replaced without
> replacing the TV or worse, making her deal with two separate
> layers of Roku.)

Ubuntu LTS is supported for 5 years, and LTS to LTS upgrade is
supposed to be easy, and in most cases it is.
These days Ubuntu has switched away from Unity (that was somewhat
Mac-inspired) to Gnome (that is kinda a thing in its own right).
Usually, prior to buying a laptop, I research whether the laptop
I think of supports Linux well. Most of the "leading" vendors are
Ok, Dell are even more so.