GCC with D have been finally been released.

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue May 7 18:13:08 UTC 2019

On Sun, May 05, 2019 at 07:34:18PM +0000, Ron Tarrant via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 3 May 2019 at 15:37:23 UTC, 12345swordy wrote:
> > https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-9/changes.html
>
> That's pretty cool!
>
> I have a question about binary compatibility between compilers. I read
> somewhere that LDC and DMD aren't binary compatible, so...
>
> Will GDC be binary compatible with one or more of the already-existing
> D compilers?

I just tested LDC and GDC, and they aren't compatible either. Probably
because they each ship with their own version of Phobos, and link with
their own C runtimes that aren't compatible with each other.

> Secondly, does it matter? (I'm still not clear on that.)

I think it's generally accepted that you have to use the same compiler
to compile an entire program.  I've never heard of it being considered a
bug that the output of two different compilers are incompatible.  It'd
be great if it could somehow still work anyway, but generally I don't
think it's expected to.

And I would think it shouldn't matter which compiler you use as long as
your code doesn't depend on compiler-specific features; you could just
recompile with a different compiler if need be, and go along your merry
way.

Music critic: "That's an imitation fugue!"