"Stop Designing Languages. Write Libraries Instead."

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed May 8 09:06:08 UTC 2019

On Friday, 3 May 2019 at 02:25:47 UTC, Mike Franklin wrote:

[...]

> I think the powers that be are right about D, that we should
> strive for fewer coarse language features and more finer
> language features that would allow us to implement something
> equivalent to those coarse language features in the library.
> Then, like Arduino, instead of exposing complex language
> features to the users, encapsulate them in the library's
> abstractions so domain users can just focus on understanding
> the API (which should be a model of their domain), and spend
> less cognitive effort understanding the intricacies of the
> language it was implemented in.
>
> Mike

Yep. Look at this, for example, they're using a Kotlin based DSL:

[For Developers] https://furhat.io/

https://www.furhatrobotics.com/

I think D "has it all", but they can't see the wood for the
trees. What D needs is a _clean_ and _stable_ implementation with
a (small) set of the most powerful features. Add to this D's
C/C++/ObjC interop and you have a very powerful tool. But you
will need a proper tool chain too (something like Gradle). Have a
look at Kotlin/Native where you have no JVM/Java libs available,
it's already very powerful and Kotlin is nowhere near as bloated
with features as D.