[OT] Granny-friendly Linux Distros?

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 9 05:12:43 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 9 May 2019 at 05:03:34 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> For all of my relatives (mom, dad, sister, pretty much anyone
> who comes with me with a problem requiring installing an OS), I
> have been installing Xubuntu LTS. It works great. The UI is
> simple, the UI stays always the same (unlike Gnome/KDE), and
> it's fast even on very old computers.

Here is my list of post-installation tweaks:

- Add a weather widget to the task bar. Useful and makes a good
impression.
- Add a keyboard layout switcher widget to the task bar (almost
everyone here is bilingual).
- Go into language preferences and ensure all language packs for
their preferred language (usually Russian, rarely Romanian) are
installed. Essentially this means opening the dialog and clicking
OK as Ubuntu doesn't install them all during OS installation for
some reason.
- Change the default save format in LibreOffice to Microsoft .doc
- Install an ad blocker (uBlock Origin) in Firefox
- Install Skype for Linux
- If they have a printer, set it up (the only common hardware
that doesn't work out of the box!)
- If the user wants, move the taskbar to the bottom of the
screen, and disable the screensaver lock.