[OT] Granny-friendly Linux Distros?

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Thu May 9 20:48:23 UTC 2019

On 05/06/2019 05:15 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:

 > I mean, with all the talk about user-friendly UI's

The only way I can explain this is so called UI experts are not
committed to serving the user. Perhaps the UI folk are actually normal
but they under tremendous pressure by other parts of the company.

Nick mentioned RokuTV. I cannot believe that Roku even took off as a
product with the responsiveness that it had. The version that we have
today is barely bearable. And it cannot be the hardware because I don't
think there is hardware that slow today. I think they send every single
click over the network. It's laughable. And they imitate responsiveness
by making a "click" sound that comes a second after you click the
button. Ha ha! :p

 > *somebody* on the Windows team
 > should have stepped back, realized what an insane nightmare of a user
 > experience this kind of behaviour is

My dad's new laptop has Windows 10 in it. The unfortunate result is that
he simply does not (more like cannot) use it anymore. While he is doing
something else on the interface, a window pops up at the right-hand
corner. He doesn't even see it. He is expected to click it? Sometimes
some thin banner appears under the menu bar of some applications,
warning him about something. He doesn't even *see* it with all the
jumble of stuff on the screen. Mind boggling so much so that I don't
think UX people are people at all. (I thought I would feel better; but
it's getting worse; but thank for letting me write these. :) )

Ali