Thoughts about "Compile-time types" talk

Luís Marques luis at luismarques.eu
Mon May 13 10:26:11 UTC 2019

On Friday, 10 May 2019 at 00:33:04 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Skimmed over Luís Marques' slides on "compile-time types", and
> felt compelled to say the following in response:  I think we're
> still approaching things from the wrong level of abstraction.
> This whole divide between compile-time and runtime is IMO an
> artificial one, and one that we must transcend in order to
> break new ground.

Thanks for the feedback. I think your counter-proposal makes some
sense. Whether it is the right way to attack the problem I don't
know. My presentation was fairly high-level, but as part of my
prototyping efforts I've gone over a lot of the details, the
problems they would create, how they could be solved and so on.
When I read your counter-proposal my knee jerk reaction was that
it would address some deficiencies with my approach but also
introduce other difficult practical problems. I'll think more
about it, but in the end I believe the only way to adequately
gauge the pros and cons of each approach is to actually
experiment with them. That's something I'll be doing, albeit at a
fairly slow pace.

BTW, thank you also for the Wiki article, I think it's a little
gem.