[OT] Granny-friendly Linux Distros?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon May 13 16:44:31 UTC 2019

On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 02:35:39PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 5/7/19 7:06 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >
> > (I've had the pleasure of experiencing upgrading from one major
> > release to another with a single command (apt-get dist-upgrade), and
> > having it Just Work(tm) without even needing to reboot(!).
>
> Whoa, I'm jealous of that! Here on Manjaro, I've gotten into the habit
> of only doing an update if I'm ready to reboot immediately after,
> because too many times when I didn't, the update would cause the
> system to become unstable and quirky until I rebooted. (But then, I
> use KDE, so maybe that's why.)

Keep in mind, though, that this was about a decade ago.  Things have
changed, and with the introduction of things like systemd, you can't
realistically upgrade to a new OS release without rebooting at *some*
point.

Also, upgrading anything related to that monster called X11 (including
all GUI "desktops" built on top of that) pretty much requires restarting
X11 and everything above it. While this can be done without actually
rebooting, from the user's POV it might as well be the same thing.

People who are more than casually interested in computers should have at least some idea of what the underlying hardware is like. Otherwise the programs they write will be pretty weird. -- D. Knuth