[OT] Unity's HPC#

Margo margo at margotics.des
Wed May 15 13:35:57 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 3 March 2019 at 09:50:17 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> So IMHO, it's much more urgent for D to try to close its gap
> with Go and Crystal by adding a fiber-based http capabilities
> in the standard library, that once again trying to make D
> become the ultimate C++ replacement, because to reach that goal
> you will need to reimplement all the D standard library using
> C++-like reference-counted memory management, which you won't,
> or loose it's current expressiveness and ease of use, which
> means targeting an even smaller development niche...

Unlike D, you can simply install Crystal or Go and create a high
performance website/microservice/... within minutes.

D does not work like this. There is literally no interest into a
build-in fiber based  solution. Unless you consider vibe.d as
"performant", when its performing at barely PHP levels. Can just
as well use PHP at that point and get the benefit from 100.000
cheap already trained developers!

Talking about D for web development, simply does not work as
there is no interest here. The focus is still trying to be a C++
replacement ( and now C replacement ), when that boat has sailed.
Rust is simply a better C++ replacement then D at this point. D
is simply carrying too much baggage from all the year and this is
reflected in the compiler issues and community attitude. Even Zig
is turning into a better C replacement compared to D.

Lots of opinions, lots of burned out people. On a lot of points,
D is extreme stagnant and on a lot of points that people like me
do not give a darn about, D is way too busy.

The reality is i can hire people to write in Crystal easier, then
finding people who can figure out D. The same applies to Go,
where its simply easier to train people because of the simple
language structure and lack of major "gotchas" unlike D.

D as a language is ok but its all the issues left and right that
simply eat time. Time is exactly what you do not have with most
web development projects. So Ecstatic, i see very little support
on this issue.

Tell us, what do you program in right now for anything HTTP
related? I am betting Go, Crystal or PHP but not D, am i right?