[DIP] Resolution of Alias Template Parameters in Function Templates

Stefanos Baziotis sdi1600105 at di.uoa.gr
Sat May 18 12:32:13 UTC 2019

Here is a DIP that I've been working the last couple of days:
https://github.com/baziotis/DIPs/blob/master/DIPs/DIP1021.md

It is a proposal about how to handle alias templates when they
appear
as parameters in function templates.
It was initially proposed by Ilya here:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/kvcrsoqozrflxibgxtlo@forum.dlang.org

as a GSoC project and then again by Seb as part of the DataFrame
project:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/jyzgzxqgaggltgifwnxx@forum.dlang.org

There are also a couple of Bugzilla reports, 2 of those
referenced in the DIP.

I tried to make it as much of a scientific paper as possible, but
note that
I don't have experience either in writing papers or DIPs.

The DIP references a PR with a 3-day prototype implementation.
That was an initial
implementation that I was working before identifying all the
corner cases of the feature.
And the corner cases make it such that probably a lot of time has
to be spent
for this feature to be fully supported. I believe however that it
might come in handy
as it handles a lot of the Slice cases, which are the primal
motivation behind this.
This is not my main GSoC project so I won't have to work on that
on the summer, but if anyone wants to work on it, please keep me
posted.
The DIP also references an article that explains the problem in a
more informal fashion style.
I'm planning to change this article to be more
implementation-specific where I will analyze
the most important problems of implementing this fully.

Best,
Stefanos