Interesting article and discussion about Python's standard library

ikod geller.garry at gmail.com
Sun May 19 04:10:22 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 19 May 2019 at 03:33:15 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

>Brown asserted that there were many such dependencies from the
>standard library to PyPI: typing works best with mypy, the ssl
>module requires a monkeypatch to connect to non-ASCII domain
>names, datetime needs pytz, and six is non-optional for writing
>code for Python 2 and 3.

Actually I see no problem here. I'm using python as everyday
tool, and yes, there is lot of packages in Pypi repo that are
more user-friendly or more complete than standard library
modules, but not every pypi module works on every platform where
python library works and not always compatible with every python
version (and this sometimes is real PITA).

Her point is to move some parts of standard library to PyPI, but
I'm not sure if this is good.  The real point should be to get
better support for modules regardless of their location - std
library or PyPI.