[spec] Phases of translation

Dibyendu Majumdar d.majumdar at gmail.com
Sun May 19 10:07:37 UTC 2019

Hi,

In the introduction there is a section named 'Phases of
Compilation'. Following the convention used in C standard, I am
calling this 'Translation Phases'; translation is a more generic
term too. See https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/pull/2646/files
for some initial rewording.

The recent post
https://forum.dlang.org/post/xnoeazcqnysodqnjphhc@forum.dlang.org
got me thinking that actually we should expand the 'Translation
Phases' section to describe more formally how D code is parsed. I
had a quick look at the D parsing code. It seems that following
an initial parse - presumably this constructs the syntax tree -
there are three deferred semantic parses. Are any details
available on what actually happens in each pass? I can read the
code of course but it would be helpful to get a high level
picture.

Thanks and Regards
Dibyendu