Interesting article and discussion about Python's standard library

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Sun May 19 14:05:28 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 19 May 2019 at 11:48:44 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> Rust is a really good model here. Python, Go, and D should
> follow suit.

I don't think Python should not follow suit. It is in a different
league.

I can trust the standard library to not contain malicious code.
Buggy code is far less problematic than the possibility of facing
trojans.

If I use code from a third party I will have to read and vet
every single line of code to ensure that there is no backdoor.
So that limit me to very short code segments. I've done it for
crypto code. I'd rather not do it.

I'd rather use imperfect standard library code. You want code
that has had many eyes on it and where the flaws are well
documented when you install scripts behind firewalls of
commercial entities.