[spec] Phases of translation

Dibyendu Majumdar d.majumdar at gmail.com
Sun May 19 14:26:34 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 19 May 2019 at 11:39:02 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> Walter Bright's DConf 2016 talk, "Spelunking D Compuler
> Internals", is a good resource for this:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_96Crl998E

Thank you - I watched it again just now. It was very helpful.

I still need to understand more about the semantic analysis
phase, but I don't yet know what questions to ask.

I guess to start with one point seems to be that after the syntax
analysis phase, we simply have a abstract syntax tree that
corresponds one to one with the input source - is that correct?
So at this stage nothing more is known about the program - only
the input is in a different format that is more amenable to
further analysis.

Secondly - I assume that the syntax tree "lowering" (or
simplification) is done prior to the semantic analysis?

Thanks and Regards
Dibyendu